It’s Earth Day! Hope You Do Something Green to Celebrate- I am going for a walk in the forest.
- Forests cover one third of the earth’s land and absorb massive amounts of carbon dioxide making them a major instrument in mitigating climate change.
- They absorb airborne impurities and give off oxygen allowing us to breathe clean air.
- Forests protect our watersheds and provide us with clean water.
- They are home to the majority of the world’s terrestrial species, and many people around the world—1.6 billion according to the World Wildlife Fund—depend on forests for their livelihoods.
The wise use of the world’s forests is critical to our survival and a healthy environment. Forests are vital in maintaining life as we know it.
As can be seen on the above Two Sides infographic:
- Wood from well-managed forests is a sustainable resource that is renewable, recyclable and can be planted, grown, harvested and replanted.
- Most paper is made using wood by-products (chips) from the lumber industry and recycled paper rather than whole trees which are typically used for lumber production.
- Forests in the U.S and Canada grow significantly more wood than is harvested each year.
After my I walk in the forest, I am going to plant my American Plum tree that I got at a community Earth Day celebration last weekend. I hope you do something green to celebrate Earth Day too!
Williams & Heintz Map Corporation Joins Two Sides to Help Promote the Sustainability of Print and Paper
Williams & Heintz Map Corp. is now a member of Two Sides U.S., a 501(c)6 non-profit organization that promotes the responsible production, use and unique sustainable features of print and paper.
People depend on paper maps for many purposes, not the least of which is to get them where they need to go. We want everyone to understand the renewable, recyclable nature of print on paper and have the confidence that a printed map is not only very useful, but also highly sustainable. Williams and Heintz is pleased to join Two Sides in getting that message out and in promoting the medium’s responsible production and use.
We know the importance of building and maintaining a cleaner environment and aim to contribute in as many ways as possible throughout our map production, map printing, and map folding.
Two sides U. S. has an excellent blog, where Phil Riebel, President and COO, Two Sides U.S., Inc. does a great job examining the issues and providing factual, accurate, and science-based information on the sustainability of print and paper.